Study In Australia


Australian institutions offer world class degrees. The climate of the country itself suits the best for Nepalese students. One of the best things about Australia is that it has a multicultural study environment and multicultural communities that provide comfortable learning and living for international students. There is variety of courses offered in Australian institutions. Fees are also varies in the colleges and Universities.  Complete guide to study in Australia from Nepal

Australia offers a diverse range of study options for international students, with more than 1,200 institutions and over 22,000 courses to choose from.

In Australia every course offered in a university has CRICOS Code which is given by Australia Government reflecting that the education system is fully controlled by the Government in Australia. There is no formal ranking of Universities. Thus, students from all around the world have long made Australia their education destination.


While overseas study is expensive, Australia is more affordable than most other destinations and offers a high standard of quality education, excellent living condition and a tolerant multicultural society. Australia’s Higher Education Institutions rank among the world’s best and the quality of education they offer is correspondingly high.

Higher education in Australia provides value for money by offering shorter and more intensive courses, they quickly incorporate latest innovations in science & technology, modern trends in marketing & management in their diploma/degree programs, hence Australian education is more practical and responsive to the needs of Trade & Industry.



  • Nepalese 12+3 is acceptable for master’s degree.
  • Duration for the master’s courses is between 1, 1.5 to 2 yrs.
  • Competitive costs for tuitions and living in comparison to other developed countries. Like USA, UK etc.
  • Australian education is recognized worldwide from US to NZ.
  • High Standard of education in international terms, good research facilities available with state of the art equipment.
  • Visa process is straightforward and fair.
  • Currently over 40000 Nepalese Students in Australia.
  • Australian universities are members of an International Academic community and academic staff are frequently recruited on an international basis.
  • Australian Countries and graduates are keenly recruited into institutions overseas, indicating a measure of Quality Education.
  • ESOS Act to protect the interest of overseas students.
  • Safe country with pleasant climate and a stable democracy.


There are 37 public universities and two private universities in Australia which offer both undergraduate and postgraduate programs. University study can lead to the following awards: Undergraduate – Bachelor Degrees, Bachelor Degrees (with Honors’), Undergraduate Diplomas, Associate Diplomas; Postgraduate – Doctoral Degrees, Masters Degrees, Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates.
A recent ranking by the Times Higher Education shows the University of Melbourne, the Australian National University, the University of Sydney, the University of Queensland and the University of New South Wales all fall among the top 100 universities in the world. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score is preferred by many Australian Institutions as English proficiency.

Work Prospects

Students can manage their living expenses through part-time jobs that can be taken up for 20 hours a week and full time work during vacations, given that the minimum per hour wage in the country is around AU$16. However they are required to obtain a work permit by paying AUD 60 payable in Australia itself on course commencement, in favor of DIMA to obtain their work permits.

Required Test

Scores of GRE, GMAT is needed by some business schools. Enrolling in to bachelor or masters degree student must obtain at least an IELTS score of 6.0. Whereas those enrolling in a diploma level program need an overall band of 5.5. However some courses like law, communications, MBA need a higher level of proficiency, as overall band score of 6.5 or 7 with no band less than 6.0.

Here are some tips for choosing an agent :

☑️ Under Australian Government law, every Australian education institution that uses the services of an education agent needs to have a contract with that organisation.
☑️ Australian education institutions usually have more than one education agent appointed in a country so speak to more than one agent – collect and compare information.
☑️ Under Australian Government law, every Australian education institution has to list on their website every education agent it has appointed to represent them in each country.
☑️ Choose an education agent with experience helping students study in Australia – they will have a good knowledge of the Australian education system, visas and life in Australia.
☑️ Make sure that the agent is an authorized representative of the institution that you want to apply to.
☑️ You can ask to see their letter of appointment from the institutions if you want.
☑️ Ask about any fees that may be levied for using their services.
☑️ Have a third party or friend help you understand the documents before you sign any documents.
☑️ Remember, education agents cannot guarantee a permanent visa or work placement in Australia after you graduate. Their job is to help with applications, so if it sounds too good to be true, keep looking. A reputable agent will be honest about the application process.


In order to study in Australia, you will need to obtain an Australian student visa. You must be able to prove to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) that you meet the following key Australian student visa requirements:

  1. Genuine Student Requirements,
  2. Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement,
  3. Financial Requirement,
  4. English proficiency requirements,
  5. Health and character requirements.
  6. You’ll need to complete an Australian student visa application form,
  7. Pay the visa application fee, and
  8. Perhaps attend an interview.

First, what’s meant by the term ‘Genuine Student’? To meet the criteria to be classed as a genuine student, you must show that you intend to obtain a valid educational outcome and that you are equipped with the language, educational and material background to reasonably be able to do this. When assessing whether the applicant for an Australian student visa is a Genuine Student, factors considered include:

  • English language proficiency
  • Sufficient finances
  • Prerequisite schooling (such as secondary and post-secondary education)
  • Age requirements
  • Intention to comply with visa conditions

Introduced in November 2011, the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement states that the visa applicant must be able to demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of study (or to accompany a student as a dependent [i.e. spouse or child], or as a guardian). The decision-makers at DIAC will consider the following factors:

  • The circumstance in your home country
  • The potential circumstances for you in Australia
  • The value of your chosen course to your future
  • Your immigration history
  • Any other relevant matters

In order to determine whether you are both a genuine student and a GTE, you may be asked to attend an interview at your neatest Australian embassy or consulate. Some applicants will only need to fill in a visa application form.

You’ll first need to make sure you’re applying for the most relevant visa, using the correct Australian student visa application form. The DIAC website has ‘Visa Finder feature’ to help you find the most relevant type of visa for your circumstances. Most international students looking to students looking to study an undergraduate (Bachelor’s) or postgraduate (Master’s) degree will qualify for the ‘Higher Education Sector visa (subclass 573)’. Most students will be eligible to apply online, but if you find you cannot, you must make a paper application to the Australian embassy or consulate in your country. You can only apply online for a student visa a maximum of 124 days before your course starts.

Before applying for a visa, you will need to obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) or a Letter of Offer confirming that you have been accepted into a course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS). The CoE will be in the form of an online code that you will need to enter into the appropriate section in the online visa application. You may also need to pay a deposit towards your tuition fees.

You will be able to change course afterwards, if you wished, but it must be to one of the same level, otherwise you will need to apply for a new visa entirely. Students may also package their studies to combine another course with their main course of study, in which case the visa application subclass will correspond to their main course of study (i.e. if your main course of study is an undergraduate degree, your visa subclass will be 573).

All students will need to identify their ‘Assessment Level’ (AL) before they can proceed with their visa application. The AL is based on the course you intend to take and your country of origin, with AL 1 students regarded as the lowest immigration risk and AL 5 students the highest. The visa process will be slightly different depending on your assessment level, with students with ALs other than 1 having a more complicated visa application process.

The visa process is also different if you qualify for ‘Streamlined Visa processing’. This is available for international students wishing to study in Australia at a participating university, if their main course is a bachelor’s degree or a master’s by coursework. If you are eligible for streamlined student visa processing you are not assigned an Assessment Level, as students eligible for this service are automatically determined to be low immigration risk. Eligible students will also have reduced evidentiary requirements for their student visa application. Students who intend to package their courses may still be eligible for streamlined visa processing if they meet certain requirements.

When filling in your online visa application form, you will need to provide evidence of the following Australian student visa requirements:

  1. Financial requirements
  2. English proficiency requirement
  3. Health requirements

Character requirements

The DIAC website has a ‘document checklist feature’ that will provide you with a list of documents required for your specific type of student visa. You simply need to select the type of visa you are requesting, and either indicate that you are eligible to apply for streamlined visa processing or select your appropriate ‘Assessment Level’. Then select ‘View Checklist’ to open a PDF document with all the necessary documents you need to provide. Typically, students must submit the following:

  1. Completed Australia student visa application form (157A)
  2. Pay visa application fee
  3. Copy of passport bio-data (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
  4. Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
  5. Evidence of sufficient funds
  6. Evidence of health insurance cover
  7. English proficiency test results

Criminal record check result (Police Report)

Visa processing times will vary depending on your ‘Assessment Level’ and the type of visa you are applying for. Allow up to four weeks, with online applications usually being considerably quicker. Your student visa will last for the duration of your studies, including holiday periods, and will also allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course, in order to prepare for departure. Under some circumstances, it may be possible to apply for a further visa at the end of your course (consult the DIAC website for more details).

You can arrive in Australia on your student visa up to 90 days before your course starts. Within seven days of arrival, you must inform your education provider of your resident address. While on a student visa, you may work up to 40 hours per fortnight during term time, and full time in the holidays. The visa is automatically issued with ‘permission to work’, although you are not allowed to begin working until your course has started. Keep in mind that any work required as part of your course is not included in the limit. If you intend to do unpaid or voluntary work, you must still apply for permission to work and can still only work up to 40 hours per fortnight as mentioned above. While in possession of a student visa, you have certain obligations to fulfil:

  1. You must remain enrolled in a CRICOS-registered course
  2. Attend classes regularly
  3. Make satisfactory course progress
  4. Maintain OSHC health insurance

There are also ‘certain visa condition’ you and your dependent must comply with; breaching a visa condition may result in the cancellation of your visa.